Awarded for 3 years non-operational service either in India or elsewhere between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945 effectively in place of the Defence Medal.
The following were eligible;
1. British Officers resident in india, Viceroy commissioned officers, British other ranks and Indian personnel of the Indian Army.
2. Members of the Indian Territorial and Auxiliary Forces who were called upon for service, embodied Indian State Forces and the Indian Women's Services.
3. Non-combatants in military employ who performed duties with a military formation.
4. British personnel who served with the British or Indian Armies providing that they resided in India prior to 3 September 1939.
5. Indians and Europeans who resided in India prior to 3 September 1939, who served with the British Forces in India, or elsewhere, and who were not eligible for the Defence Medal.
Around 222,000 medals issued.