Clasp - Fort Detroit
Full Size clasp

£21.70

SKU: FEM0270

Quantity

Awarded to the Military General Service Medal 1799-1814. Ill feeling still existed between the Americans and British following the War of Independence of 1775-1783 and on 18 June 1812 they declared war on Britain and intended to invade Upper Canada. Fort Detroit (now the city of Detroit) was situated on the extreme north-western end of Lake Erie on the south bank of the Detroit river, on the opposite bank were the British garrisons of Sandwich and Amherstburg. An American force under Brigadier General William Hull crossed the river and occupied Sandwich without opposition. He then waited and finally withdrew his forces back to the American bank. On seeing this the Commander-in Chief in Upper Canada, Brigadier Isaac Brock, crossed the river and attacked Fort Detroit on 16th August 1812.


Read More